Monday, May 27, 2013

Bridal hair-stylist Marie Hickey

Monday, May 27, 2013

I have so much lined up to share with you from Annemarie' wedding. Magical photos by Shane O'Neil + a cool video by Best Day Productions. But before Annemarie tells us her memories from the day, I wanted to chat with Marie Hickey who created this hairstyle for her.


When headpiece designers and hairdressers work together, amazing things happen. Honestly; that's worth saying twice! It's a crazy form of collaboration because we work separately. I always ask to see photos of hair trials and the style really influences the designs I create. Other times, my design will be the starting point for the hairdresser. I like to think that we inspire each other.

I've called this new design 'Cascade' and I can't think of a better word to describe Marie's hairstyle; asymmetric side braids and interlocking looping locks!

This is the first in a series of interviews with my favourite hairdressers; let's meet Marie Hickey -


Marie, I love your gorgeous boho hairstlyes. And it's fun when the two of us work together with women to create a look that they love. Tell us a bit about how you got into hairstyling for weddings and what you love about it.

I absolutely love weddings! It is such an honour to be part of someone’s wedding day, a day that they will never forget (for better or worse!!) . I have always loved tying hair up and weddings were the perfect opportunity to do what I love best. A bride generally always goes more glamorous on their wedding day and it is great to be part of this makeover.

When Ann-Marie came to visit you, did she have a clear idea of how she's like to wear her hair? What sort of things did you talk to her about when you first met up for her hair trial?

When Anne-Marie came to see me for her hair trial we had a look at her dress and discussed the ideas that she liked. Once I saw her dress and got a feel for her look I knew she had to get in touch with you! I had styled another bride with a similar look and I knew Anne Marie would love the look and we personalised it to suit her. When I showed her a photo of your head piece she loved it straight away and we knew the look was perfect for her.

What I love about this hairstyle is that it looks so natural. I'm guessing it takes a lot of work to make it look so unstructured?!

When a bride goes for a natural look I think you always have to make it a little different so no other guest will have her look. While the look is natural it has to be creative and unique. I do spend the full morning with the bride so I have plenty of time to work on each style.

Another thing I love about your hairstyles is the asymmetry. I think it adds a little drama when the style is not perfectly centered! It probably means that every time you create a style like this, that it'll be slightly different?

I love that every style is different. Everybody has different hair types and textures and head shapes so it has to be a hairstyle that compliments the brides overall look. No two brides are the same so no two hairstyles should be the same.

Do you have one good tip for women choosing a hairstyle for their wedding day?

"Always bring a photo of your dress with you for your trial as this does dictate certain styles. Also be open to other options rather than veils as you can create such an individual look with head pieces as with Ann –Marie’s. Go with a look that you are comfortable with but do go that extra bit different to make the overall look amazing."


Thanks Marie - I hope we'll continue to collaborate from Dublin to Tipperary!

Check back to read Annemarie and Paul's wedding story, coming soon. If this hairstyle is 'talking to you', make sure you get in touch with Marie. You'll find all of her details on her website; Bridal hair by Marie. Marie was also the 2013 Weddings Online Hairstylist of the Year.


Photo credit:
Detail of photo by Shane O'Neil from Aspect Photogrpahy

No comments: